We are the real estate agency with Foreign language services. We can support foreign students of Tohoku university in Sendai.


The general process for finding a rental is as follows: Contact our company ARUSU LANDS AND HOMES CO.LTD (real estate agency) by e-mail(arusutatemono@yahoo.co.jp). Find possible rentals. Actually view the rentals and sign a rental contract. You must get a signature from a guarantor(university), then you move in. The process may take 1–2 weeks or several months to complete. In addition ,It takes 2 or 3 weeks for procedure  of guarantee by Tohoku univ. You may not be able to immediately move in to some places, so be sure to check possible moving dates prior to concluding the contract.


STEP 1   CONTACT US BY E-MAIL(arusutatemono@yahoo.co.jp)

ARUSU LANDS AND HOMES CO.LTD (real estate agency) acts as an intermediary between you and the real estate owner when looking for a rental. It tells you about properties which meet your budget and needs, and serves as the contact point when entering into a rental contract. First, you contact us by email(arusutatemono@yahoo.co.jp). When you do, inform us of the date you wish to move in, your budget, and your needs so we can search for a suitable place at the outset and make the process smoother.



We handle information on a variety of rental properties. Tell us about your needs, including your budget, preffered area, floor plan, and amount of space required, and we will select several properties that suit your needs from our large database.

Incidentally, you may be surprised at the high rental prices in the city center, but be aware that obtaining a rent lower than what was advertised is fundamentally difficult in Japan.



When you’ve finally found what you want, then you will sign a contract. In Japan, in addition to the rent, initial fees include a security deposit and key money, so you will need a sizeable sum of money at first. Also, in the majority of cases you will need a Japanese guarantor to co-sign when signing the contract. When they who signs the contract is unable to pay the rent due to reasons such as illness or unemployment, they must pay in his or her stead. There is guarantee system of foreign students in university. So do not worry.

Carefully check the contract when signing. You should be aware of all restrictions placed on each property, such as rules against pets, more than two persons residing in a property, musical instruments, etc.





When the contract has been completed,  get in touch with a moving company and prepare to move in, and contact us, after the moving date has been set.

Generally, services such as electricity, gas, water, and telephone are initially disconnected in properties. When moving in, the first priority is to call the utility companies to get them connected (by the way, electricity, gas, and water are all provided for charge in Japan). Then, go to the city office and submit a change of address. Also, be sure to carefully check which days trash is collected and the rules for separating trash, which differ according to area. Not abiding by rules causes trouble.

Introducing yourself to the maintenance staff or owner when they live nearby is an important custom to observe. If possible, you should bring a gift to make a favorable impression and pave the way for asking them for help if problems arise.


Vocabulary Used when Renting a House or Apartment


● Chinryou:

Rent for the house or apartment. Paid monthly.

Generally paid by the end of the month in advance.




● Kyouekihi(Kanrihi):

Fees for common-use electrical facilities etc.

Added to the rent. Paid monthly.




● Chuushajou shiyouryou:

Monthly fee for a parking spot.

Added to the rent.





● Shikikin:

Deposit paid to the lessor when the contract is signed for unpaid rent, and/or damages and repairs upon evacuation. The lessor will return the amount of the deposit, minus unpaid rent etc.




● Hosyoukin:

Deposit about the same as Shikikin. The lessor will often promise to return the amount of the deposit, minus a certain amount in proportion to contract period upon evacuation. (Syoukyaku)


 敷金と同じ性格のもの。ただし明渡し時に、入居期間の長さに応じ、一定の割合の金額を差し引いて(「償却」といいます。) 返還される約束がなされることが多い。


● Keiyaku houshuu:

Commission paid to real estate agency. Up to 1 month’s rent.




● Reikin, Kenrikin:

Key money. Fee paid to the lessor on signing contract. Different from Shikikin, this money is non-refundable.




● Keiyaku no koushin:

Contract can be renewed when the contract period is terminated.

Conditions such as rent may be changed.




● Koushinryou:

Fee paid to the lessor to renew the contract.




● Kaiyaku:

Termination by the lessor or the lessee for reasons of their own within the contract period.

You must notify other party in advance in accordance with the provisions.




● Kaijo:

Cancellation by the lessor within the contract period when the lessee violates any of the provisions. In this case, the lessee must evacuate the house.




● Genjou kaihuku:

Repairs on the evacuation in accordance with the provisions.




● Rentai hoshounin:

A guarantor who bears obligations of the lessee such as rent.

Jointly responsible for any and all obligations of the lessee.